The Official Pumpkin Derby Rules have been established to inspire good old-fashioned American ingenuity, promote fair play and ensure that all participants have a good time. All Pumpkin Derby Racers must design and race their pumpkin racers according to these rules to ensure that the race is fun and fair for everyone.
- Pumpkin Derby Racers must be crafted using a single, whole pumpkin. (While it may be hollowed out, it must retain its pumpkin shape.)
- Pumpkin Derby Racers must be created by inserting two independent axles through the pumpkin, with wheels attached to the axles.
- Pumpkin Derby Racers shall not attach pumpkins onto a prefabricated chassis of any kind (skateboard, stroller, Tonka truck, etc.).
- The total weight of a Pumpkin Derby Racer (pumpkin, decorations, wheels, etc.) cannot exceed 25 pounds. Your pumpkin racer will be weighed before it’s allowed to race.
- For the Youth and Teen Divisions, parents and guardians may assist the youth/teen in making the Derby Racer (attaching axles, wheels), but shall not provide assistance to designing and decorating the Derby Racer.
- NO EXPLOSIVES or PYROTECHNICS will be allowed.
- Cheating will not be tolerated. Feel great about being honest and fair. Don’t be tempted to be a cheater Derby Racer. Use the honor system and obey the spirit of these rules.